The Software Design Engineer in Test role is reserved for Testers who are capable of writing tools and/or automation.
The SDET is a tester and also a developer. More often the role is assumed as a manual tester, and sometimes considered as a Quality Assurance. The SDET is part of the development team and participates in the complete development process.
The SDET must be able to create high quality, maintainable, and performant code. The code generally created by the SDET however are for automated test cases and the frameworks to execute and report them. An SDET's knowledge of software design is often focused on testability, robustness, and performance, and they usually play a contributory or reviewer role in the creation of designs for production software. A SDETs skill set will often include more experience in software processes and how to test software.
- Design and build the automated test frameworks and test suites for use in development and testing cycles
- Utilize innovative test technologies to develop a product's testing strategy
- Participating in design and code inspections.
- Perform manual testing, the scope of which will encompass all functionality of services to as a prequel to
- 2-4 yrs core development experience as a Software Engineer
- Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals and data structures
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrable experience in writing clean code quickly
- Understanding of QA methodologies, life cycle and processes
- Experience in writing testing frameworks and automation tools is preferable
- Designed complex software systems
- Understands customer use cases and have developed framework for automated testing of developed
- Coached and mentored junior members of the team
- Demonstrated innovation in product/framework development