Responsibilities & duties :
1) Monitors performance of SQL Server environment, addressing performance issues with automated and user applications. Identifies server/load strain on applications and remediates by resolving (back-end), and/or communication with users to optimise or assist in queries. Adjusts/balances queuing to reduce bottlenecking / manage high loads to reduce failures.
2) Performs administration of SQL Server environment by ensuring capacity and performance reports are generated daily; maintenance plans are executed to schedule and addresses failed maintenance; reviews reports server performance and capacity reports and identifies poor performance patterns/capacity exhaustion for remediation or escalation.
3) Monitor/reviews back-ups reports and identifies and remediates failed back-ups. Distributes backup reports to Production Support management weekly
4) Developing scripts and/or applying tools to automate performance and capacity reports, maintenance plans, and back-up reports; develop and takes ownership of administration and database maintenance script/applications.
5) Develop (and/or participate with I.T. monitoring) alerting mechanisms to identify degrading data system performance and data system availability
6) Provide guidance to users for SQL query tuning and optimisation
7) Tracks and maintains issues, incidents and work requests with company's ticketing systems. Tasks status is up to date and current. Contributes and builds knowledge base articles for recurring support incidents. Maintains routine task run-sheet (Smartsheet)
8) Manage workload and continually report on work status, communicate issues/roadblocks. Escalates issues/roadblocks to Production Support manager, business, and project leads.
9) Lead improvements to applications, performance, processes and work flows. Create and present business cases to initiate improvements. Investigate and critique new methods, reduce waste, and optimization of processes, both technical and operational
10) Continual self-development and staying abreast of technology changes
Database Administration :
- 5-7 years experience with administering Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 / 2012 / 2014 production environments
- Sound knowledge of relational database systems understanding mechanisms of disk I/O, network, memory utilisation, CPU utilisation and performance.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret SQL Server DMV and database logs; identifying bottlenecks or areas of performance concern. Deep understanding of indexation and performance impacts or good and poor index design.
- 2-3 years- experience providing database production support for web applications using Microsoft IIS. Experience analysing and issue detection with web application logs.
- Demonstrated experience in developing automation scripts for reporting, maintenance, and alerting
- Expertise and skills with a scripting language; Powershell, bash, Perl, JS
- SQL Agent job automation; creating jobs and workflows
- MDX queries (desirable); DAX queries (desirable)
Other Technical :
- Experience with BI visualisation tools; Microstrategies (preferred), Tableau, QlikView, Cognos etc. (desirable)
- 1+ year(s) experience with Hadoop, YARN, Oozie, HDFS (desirable)
- Source control tools (Git/Stash, TFS, SV)
- Experience with Atlassian tools (JIRA, Confluence) (desirable)
- Communicating technical issues and status with users and non-technical stakeholders.
- Incident management