What will you be doing?
- Engineering lead will be assigned to a project and will play role of Development Lead of a module/component/ feature.
- They will be managing a team of SDE/SSDE. Engineering Leads are the acceptor/consumer of Design and Architecture and drives the construction part of product development.
- In this role, engineering Lead leads the sprint planning and coordinate across teams, sequencing/prioritizing, assignment of work, getting bottlenecks removed, getting clarifications resolved through own or sought detailing, getting prior work validated/accepted, future work understood.
- They are responsible to provide technical and project leadership through coaching and mentor ship.
- Engineering Lead needs to be hands on and should lead by example. In some cases, if required, Engineering leads are also expected to do coding/code design.
- Senior Engineering Leads are primarily responsible for leading a module / component / feature with their earlier experience and competency as Eng Lead, they are expected to handle more complex assignments and lead code design also.
Key Values :
- Understands the importance of coaching and mentoring the team
- Understands that spending quality time reviewing and monitoring team efforts and outputs is very critical for success
- Understands that team morale is important for success and therefore provides the right environment
- Understands that delegation of work will lead to increased productivity
Key areas, where time needs to be spent :
- Focus on making time available for team members
- Set clear goals and priorities for team
- Learn to identify areas of development of team and spend time to develop team in those areas
- Spend time in reviewing and monitoring progress and providing continuous feedback
- Reserve time to reflect and analyse
An Engineering Lead/Senior Engineering lead is expected to perform the following tasks.
As Dev Lead :
- Ability to understand design & architecture for the specified component/sub-system. Provide timely feedback about the feasibility of implementation.
- Drives project execution (IR) that includes the planning, execution and completion of key activities including Code Design, Coding, and test specification. Coordinate across teams, sequencing/prioritizing, getting bottlenecks removed, getting clarifications resolved through own or sought detailing, getting prior work validated/accepted, future work understood
- Maintains high standards of software quality within the team by following prevailing practices regarding documentation, coding standards, development tools
- Plan, prioritize, assign, track work with team SDE/SSDE, this will include estimation of tasks, assignment, and continuous monitoring and support to team
- Track work progress and quality through efficient review & acceptance frameworks
- Understand Technical specifications and complete the assignments given with guidance
- Deliver high quality formally tested code
- Understand and use the overall development approach of the organization
- Create low level design (as part of code design) - flowcharts, layouts, sequence, interaction, class diagrams, charts
As People Manager/Mentor :
- Continuously drive engineering excellence within team as well as focus on individual also
- Trainings - Ensure each team member readiness to play assigned role in the team.
- Motivates team members and accesses their performance, Timely feedback
- Identify learning opportunity for team members and plan their non-project work
- Hiring, Training.