A minimum or 10+ years total business experience is desired; preference will be given to candidates with a background in servicing the pharmaceutical and/or medical industry or with relevant experience in those industries.
Candidates should have at least 5 years of recent experience leading business development activities, with an emphasis on identifying and selling to new customers, new markets and/or new applications, alternatively candidates should have at least 5 years of recent experience operating in a pharmaceutical development or manufacturing company.
Candidates should possess significant, demonstrated expertise in developing and nurturing relationships with new customers. In addition to demonstrably strong analytical, strategic and financial acumen, the ideal candidate will have worked in progressively responsible roles supporting, and ultimately leading business development activities internationally.
Experience and knowledge of global business practices and cultures is essential. Multi-lingual candidates with fluency in English and other commonly spoken languages of the region are required. Relevant prior assignments might include progressively responsible roles in pharmaceutical operations, packaging engineering, business-to-business marketing and sales in companies with technically complex products. Some knowledge of pharmaceutical packaging materials, developments or trends would be useful though not essential.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY includes the following. (Other duties may be assigned):
Customer & End-user Sales Visits: Prioritize and lead visits to key direct customers and end users, to position products, promote sales and gather market intelligence.
Market Analysis: Compile information from public and private information sources to identify attractive customer and application segments. Support new product development activities with market research by conducting customer interviews, attending industry events, etc. to understand customer needs. Translate customer needs into new product development ideas
New Customer Acquisition: Utilize market research to identify, prioritize and win new customers as well as market new products to customers.
New Product Development: Use market insights to initiate and lead new product development projects. Develop go-to-market strategies and plans to launch new products. Use analytical tools to maximize value derived by customers and value captured .
Competitor Analysis: Monitor the activities of competitive materials suppliers as well as competitive distributors. Draw insights from information and run scenarios to develop appropriate competitive responses. Work with R&D to analyze competitive materials to uncover disadvantages that may be exploited by field marketers, salesmen and channel partners.
Channel Management: Develop and/or optimize distribution channels in each market to ensure customers are able to access products efficiently in each market. Monitor, grow and develop the key relationships with channel partners
Marketing Communications: Develop and manage global marketing communications programs for each market segment.
Travel: 40% mostly within region with occasional travel outside.
In addition, the Market Development Manager will demonstrate:
- Strong executive presence, interpersonal communication and presentation skills including the ability to put together a visually sharp presentation to communicate ideas
- Superior negotiation skills with sound business judgment
- Critical thinking skills and analytical abilities that allow them to quickly assess situations and opportunities
- A positive, outwardly energetic leadership style that leverages relationships and inspires confidence in others
- High levels of emotional intelligence and the ability to self-motivate.
- Problem-solving abilities with the ability to anticipate potential issues and suggest creative alternatives to overcome barriers
- A strong detail orientation, especially when presenting
- A bias for action and personal accountability for meeting or exceeding objectives
- A desire to contribute to and grow with the organization through a variety of developmental/promotional assignments (the nature of which will be based on available opportunities, skills/experience, and actual performance in the current role)
- Motivates team members and peers with strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Demonstrated acceptance and adherence to high ethical, moral and personal values
- Ability to inspire others to reach higher
- A proven track record of overcoming obstacles
- The desire to travel extensively throughout the region to meet companies, organizations and people to further the positioning of
and its products.