* The primary role of the Business Development Manager is to prospect for new clients by networking, cold calling, advertising or other means of generating interest from potential clients.
* They must then plan persuasive approaches and pitches that will convince potential clients to do business with the company.
* They must develop a rapport with new clients , and set targets for sales and provide support that will continually improve the relationship.
* They are also required to grow and retain existing accounts by presenting new solutions and services to clients.
* Business Development Managers work with mid and senior level management, marketing , and technical staff.
* He/she may manage the activities of others responsible for developing business for the company.
* Strategic planning is a key part of this job description , since it is the business managers responsibility to develop the pipeline of new business coming in to the company .
* This requires a thorough knowledge of the market, the solutions/services the company can provide, and of the companys competitors.
New Business Development:
o Prospect for potential new clients and turn this into increased business.
o Cold call as appropriate within your market or geographic area to ensure a robust pipeline of opportunities. * Meet potential clients by growing, maintaining, and leveraging your network.
o Identify potential clients, and the decision makers within the client organization.
o Research and build relationships with new clients.
o Set up meetings between client decision makers and companys practice leaders/Principals.
o Plan approaches and pitches. * Work with team to develop proposals that speaks to the clients needs, concerns, and objectives.
o Handle objections by clarifying, emphasizing agreements and working through differences to a positive conclusion. * Use a variety of styles to persuade or negotiate appropriately.
o Present an image that mirrors that of the client.
o Present new products and services and enhance existing relationships.
o Work with technical staff and other internal colleagues to meet customer needs.
o Arrange and participate in internal and external client debriefs.
Business Development Planning:
o Attend industry functions, such as association events and conferences, and provide feedback and information on market and creative trends.
o Present to and consult with mid and senior level management on business trends with a view to developing new services, products, and distribution channels.
o Identify opportunities for campaigns, services, and distribution channels that will lead to an increase in sales.
o Using knowledge of the market and competitors, identify and develop the companys unique selling propositions and differentiators.
Management and Research:
o Submit weekly progress reports and ensure data is accurate.
o Ensure that data is accurately entered and managed within the companys CRM or other sales management system.
o Forecast Business targets and ensure they are met by the team.
o Track and record activity on accounts and help to close deals to meet these targets.
o Ensure all team members represent the company in the best light.
o Present business development training and mentoring to business developers and other internal staff.
o Research and develop a thorough understanding of the companys people and capabilities.
o Understand the companys goal and purpose so that will continual to enhance the companys performance.
Business development management positions require a bachelors degree and 3-5 years of sales or marketing experience. An MBA is often requested as well.
Other Skills and Qualifications:
Networking, Persuasion, Prospecting, Public Speaking, Research, Writing, Closing Skills, Motivation for Sales, Prospecting Skills, Sales Planning, Identification of Customer Needs and Challenges, Market Knowledge, Meeting Sales Goals, Professionalism, CRM, and Microsoft Office.