• Primary responsibility will be to provide support and legal advice to the securities services (custody) business.
• The candidate should ideally have familiarity with regulations, transaction dynamics and process steps. Relationship with intermediaries’ esp. legal counsels on above deals. Ability to negotiate various transaction documents.
• In addition also back up and support the corporate banking team, Global Transaction Services teams, fixed income and treasury, investment banking, securities businesses and the captive back office.
• Develop standard agreements and templates together with legal guidelines for products and documentation as appropriate and keep such documentation and guidelines updated.
• Management of the legal affairs and legal risks of the businesses of bank and other entities in India.
• Helping business lines and functions structure transactions, products, contracts, set up procedures along best practices, negotiate arrangements and legal terms with third parties, resolve legal problems, and propose and advise on solutions that help the business lines complete their transactions/resolve issues within the bank’s operational/legal framework.
• Provide legal advice and support as required as required generally by business teams and other functions like human resources, finance, compliance etc.
• Generally advise the bank branch, subsidiaries and affiliates, as required, on legal issues arising from the organization and management of the relevant legal entities within India including corporate structure governance and operations.
Roles and responsibilities:
• Advice and support businesses in relation to the structuring, negotiation and execution of third party agreements.
• Advice and provide support in relation to setting up/launching of new products or structuring any deals including drafting/vetting and negotiating all contracts, agreements and other documentation.
• Provide legal support to analyze and assess contractual risks in credit and other agreements and document to protect the interest of the Bank.
• Monitor legal developments which may affect the businesses especially bank business operations and provide appropriate legal advice and support in relation to such issues.
• Assist the General Counsel in compliance with all Group and bank legal policies and assist in setting up, where necessary, relevant local legal policies and procedures to reflect specific legal requirements of India.
• Advise on substantive legal issues and questions of law.
• Provide legal advice and support and transaction management services for all bank business activities.
• Lawyer with a post qualification experience of 6-8 years preferably in custody matters and strong fundamentals and regulatory (SEBI) experience.
• Solution oriented approach for situations
• Hands on approach
• Ability to work stretched and unpredictable working hours during transaction execution time
• A qualified lawyer from a premier Indian/ international university
• Good command of the law and excellent knowledge of the Indian legal system
• Strong communication skills and very good command of the English language
• Must demonstrate attention for detail, and possess an investigative and questioning nature.
• Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and consult at all levels, especially with senior management and external stakeholders.
• Ideally be flexible and possess a hands-on work style.
• Be a proactive business partner, strategic thinker and have strong leadership skills.
• Ability to operate effectively in a matrix structure environment
• Must be responsive, able to work under pressure and foster and contribute to a collegiate and friendly working environment.
• Service oriented
• Tactful but resolute
• High ethical standards
• Self-motivated, independent and confident
• Ability to learn quickly
• Good work ethic and integrity
• Good team player