To ensure effective safety planning and implementation at the project site within corporate guidelines of EHS and statutory requirements with the objective of minimizing risk to people and the organisation by ensuring adequate focus on best in class environment, health and safety practices
Pre Project Conceptualization
- Provide guidelines on project safety requirements (to the relevant person) for incorporation in contractor/ vendor tender documents in order to ensure clarity is provided to the vendors/ contractors on safety requirements for inclusion in their quotations
New Project Initiation:
- Participate (if required) in negotiation meetings with the contractor to review the incorporation of required safety parameters as per guidelines in the quotations/ scope of work
- Understand contractor's system/ capability in fulfilling the requirement
- Provide clarification on the guidelines to the contractor's as required
- Highlight any issues/ deviations to the Project Manager/ relevant authority in CPO for decision making in order to ensure company's safety requirements are understood by the contractor and included in scope of work
- Review project duration, project activities, manpower requirement, plant and machinery being deployed on the project etc.
- Prepare guidelines/ checklist related to safety requirement for the project
- Send guidelines to the contractor (as required)
- Review safety plan prepared by contractor and highlight changes/ revisions
- Approve safety plan for all contractors in order to ensure all contractors have safety plans in line with the requirement
Project Execution Monitoring
- Form safety committees and conduct meeting at site periodically; circulate minutes of meeting to all concerned.
- Safety Training:
- Prepare schedule, content of training programs on EHS; conduct trainings at site for staff/ contractor's supervisory staff; conduct induction session for contactor employees and take sign-off post completion.
Safety Systems and Process Implementation :
- Coordinate to ensure all relevant guidelines of Corporate EHS is fully met for the vendor supplied and installed items in respect of fire and electrical safety.
- Identify appropriate places to display EHS policy at the site
- Send proposal and coordinate for purchase of personal protective equipments (which is not part of scope for contractor)
- Prepare risk assessment & job safety analysis for critical activities on project and get sign-off from execution engineer
- Collect statutory documents of the equipments used/ installed at site by contractors
- Implement safety work permit systems at the site
- Conduct regular EHS inspections of man, machines, material, method of work, first aid facility etc.
- Conduct audit of contractor; monitor emergency planning at the site; check for placement of warning signs/ caution boards as required
- In case of major incident, conduct investigation by including members from safety committee, prepare report and circulate to all concerned and provide actions/remedial measure for future.
- Safety Awareness:
- Monitor regular safety pep talk conducted by contractor; participate periodically and provide inputs as required; prepare and circulate tips on safety periodically to the site team
- Maintain safety statistics board and update as required and provide clarifications on corporate safety guidelines to the project site team members (if required);
Vendor Performance Monitoring
- Provide input on safety performance parameters for each vendor and send to PM for validation and inclusion in overall performance evaluation
- Provide clarifications to internal/ vendor team as required in order to ensure accurate feedback is provided to contractor on its performance related to safety practices and compliances
- Verify, sign-off vendor bills and forward to finance for payment in order to ensure timely payment as per contract terms
Commissioning & Handover:
- Provide handover of safety devices to the user business team
- Obtain sign-off and keep record in order to ensure smooth handover of critical safety devices
Statutory Compliance :
- Review third party test certificates of equipments, review licenses of the contractor employees (drivers, electricians etc.) as per statutory requirement in order to ensure adherence to required statutory compliances
Reporting & Audit:
- Coordination with Corporate EHS for conducting of Design / Execution and Commissioning audits
- Participate in internal/ corporate audit and provide all required information to the audit team; review audit report and provide reply as required
- Prepare necessary action plan on observations/ NCRs from audit and drive implementation
- Prepare periodic safety statistics report, safety training report, safety awareness report, accident investigation report and send to PM/DM or any other relevant authority
- Keep record of all other reports for future reference in order to ensure accurate and timely reporting of safety practices and compliances
Essential: 5-10 years of hands on experience in environment, health and safety profile at a plant/ manufacturing/ industrial site
He should have worked in FMCG/ Foods/ Beverages/ Consumer Goods/ Chemical companies and should have completed at least one significant project as the EHS resource from start to end.
- Knowledge of best in class environment, health and safety practices
- Knowledge of engineering domain
- Broad Knowledge of Project management
- Quality, safety relevant codes and standards
- Relevant statutes
- Safety practices
- Good understanding of EHS systems and procedures
- Strong analytical ability
Good communication and interpersonal skills
Good Negotiation skills
Co-ordination and expediting skills