“Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life” – Confucius.
Let’s be honest, mundane living can lead to boredom and that can trigger our state of mind. It is indeed true that sometimes we have to make our own sunshine in the pool of uncertainty that lies ahead of us.
Staying positive in life is highly subjective. There isn’t any rule, method or algorithm to lead a positive life. Matter of fact, staying positive at work is largely dependent upon the kind of job you do, whether you have landed in your dream job or merely just passing your time in a cubicle.
Positive attitude works like a habit; later it defines your existence and actions to every situation you deal with. Living with a positive mind-set is also a matter of choice. It certainly doesn’t grow on trees, rather it is an effort that one has to make, it has to be nurtured consistently in every day to day activities.
It is fair to think that a place where you work and spend maximum hours can sometime test your patience against every odd. One cannot deny it is hard to stay positive when things are falling apart and situations are not in your control. But, trying to overcome the dreadful negative dynamism is what it takes to make you a much stronger and happier human being.
So, read on and stay positive –
- Commute at ease – Indulge yourself in e-book reading, good music and enjoy your ride to office. This can certainly work as a morning positive doze.
- Arrive early – Punctuality can make a big difference to how you start your day. With something to look forward to arriving early to office gives you sufficient time to settle, think & plan for the day.
- Time management – With the right attitude, time management automatically falls into place. Work on time management to make your day more productive.
- Do not check your mails first thing in the morning – It might come as a surprise to you, but checking mails as the first thing can restrict you from doing things that are already lined up on top priority. Focus on the tasks at hand first, give yourself 15-30min of time to start with all the expected tasks ahead of you.
- Take a break – Breaks are like energy boosters. Always take sufficient amount of small breaks between your work to help you regain the state of mind to work more efficiently for the day.
- Never over commit – Over promising can create a problem. Be honest for the tasks and skills that you can be taken under your capacity.
- Prioritize your work – Yes, priority is everything. More you prioritize your work it will make your day more result oriented. Hence you will find yourself less stressed out.
- Pump up your sense of humour –Self-indulge in some light heart and healthy interactions among your team members to. A good humor & laugh can do wonders to pep you up.
- Do not feed on gossip – It is a fact we all indulge into grapevine communication. Well, here’s a reality check – do not feed on gossip. It portrays an ugly side of you and eats away all the positive energy in you.
- Be proactive not reactive – We always have a choice to take a proactive stance to handle every hurdle and avoid future problems.
- Be observant and take some time to be quiet – in the midst of 9 hours of work, it is so very important to spare some time out for music, e-books or a walk to ease your reactive energies.
- Don’t be a control freak; just go with the flow – let things fall into place the way they are supposed to. Dictating will never give you a positive outlook.
- Concentrate on one thing at a time – you have a lot of things to do in your ‘to do list’, but concentrating on one thing at a time will help you be more motivated and focused.
- Think productively – Don’t stop pushing yourself, think out of the box. Execute things out of your comfort zone. Indulge in brain storming, believe in sharing ideas.
- Do not complicate – Work on your communication skills. Try not to complicate things; it can result into a much strained situation.
- Be silly, be kind, be positive – Sit and think – you do not work to please others. Have confidence in yourself to make your stand.
- Be humble – Always remember- too much ego will kill your talent. So, work hard and stay humble.
- Embrace change – Change is good. Change is essential. Don’t be still. You need to evolve to move forward.
- Don’t be afraid to fail – Face it, failure can be a lesson to us. Give the best of your work, and always be ready for criticism. Sometimes a critique can unfold your hidden strengths.
- Answer to miserable work is –Quit & Change – Inspite of every effort you seem to be stuck at every step of changing things around into more positive. This calls for an immediate change, either in you or from the organization. Hence, look out for a change for a better you.
We all have our driving forces that let out our positive self. Think beyond all the restrictions of life, like a nomad. The most important ingredient to stay positive is smile. Find some time to smile, stay strong and tell yourself, I choose to be happy every single day.
So, share with us what drives your positive attitude at work place?