October 2012: Senior Hiring – This is what you said.

The results of the HeadHonchos’ Management Hiring Perspective Report are out.

We reached out to HR teams to understand the hiring outlook till March 2013 and also asked you about growth & employment trends in your industry, as usual with a focus on senior hiring. Thank you for sharing your opinions with us.

The numbers point overwhelmingly to a cautious job market. As per the report, just 51% of employers plan to increase headcount, after backfilling for attrition, before March 2013. On the other hand, 49% will freeze headcount or reduce employee strength.

Some of the key findings:

Just 51% employers plan to hire after back-filling for attrition
Just 51% employers plan to hire after back-filling for attrition
  • Among 51% ‘optimist employers’, who anticipate an increase in headcount, 87% expect employee strength to grow by 6-20%.
  • On the other hand, about 26% of employers plan to actively reduce headcount.
  • Accordingly, the increase in headcount across all corporates is likely to be 5% to 5.5%.
  • Only a weak 2% increase in headcount is expected at senior levels and 3.4% at mid-management levels.
Senior hiring takes a hit
Increase in headcount by level

These warning signals are echoed by senior professionals on HeadHonchos. Only 51% of you expect active hiring in your industry, while 10% predict downsizing.

An interesting observation is that the mood among senior professionals is proactive (almost 30% of professionals who were not looking to make a job change believe they should now track jobs actively). The findings also point to changing paradigms for senior professionals. Some of the new rules that we heard about:

  • Forget passive job search – you need to take the first step.
  • My resume needs to do justice to my profile.
  • Searching for a job is now a full-time job. You (sic) got to be in the market all the time.
  • I am reinventing myself. From ‘what I want’ to ‘what they want’.

As old paradigms give way to new, senior professionals are taking charge of their job search and career needs and becoming, in Tom Peters’ words, CEOs of their own companies: Me Inc.

Take a look at the detailed findings of the survey, by clicking on the link below:

Download the full report now»

Here’s wishing your families and you a prosperous and happy Diwali and the best as CEO of Me Inc.!

Cheers,

Uday Sodhi

Chief Executive Officer | HeadHonchos

www.headhonchos.com

Let’s talk careers. We’re keen to hear from you.

Interested in being a guest blogger? Write to us on lounge@headhonchos.com

Leave a Reply